I think my brain can’t decide which time zone I’m in.
- Pitchfork Media lets us know the tour dates for the newly reunited original lineup of Dinosaur Jr. No, I won’t be living anywhere they’re playing. Very inconsiderate of them, if you ask me. If you live in D.C./Atlanta and do not plan on going to see them at the 9:30 Club/Variety Playhouse, then you’re a damn fool. Unless you don’t like your ears bleeding. Then I understand.
- PFM also reports that the White Stripes are coming to the Starlight Theater in KC on August 23. Two thoughts:
- I will be living somewhere other than Kansas City on August 23.
- The Starlight Theater does not sound like a place I want to go to see a band.
- Oh wait! Ryan Adams and the Cardinals will be playing in Manchester on June 29! … Sold out?
- Then again, if I want to see someone get drunk and fall down on stage, there’s always Shane MacGowan.
- Hmm, Television on the 23rd of June. Saw them last year, and don’t have a burning desire to see them again.
- Holy crap! There’s an amazing series called Patti Smith’s Meltdown taking place in London this week:
- Patti Smith, Chan Marshall (Cat Power), and Kevin Shields (My Bloody Valentine) performing together this Wednesday right here in London!
- And she’s performing with John Cale (Velvet Underground) on Satuday.
- An homage to William Blake in the form of a tribute to Jimi Hendrix…that sounds a little flakey.
- Looks like they’re all sold out.
- Well, there’s also a tribute to Bertolt Brecht featuring Marc Almond, The Finn Brothers, Antony & The Johnsons, Martha Wainwright, Dresden Dolls, Sparks, London Sinfonietta, The Tiger Lillies, and Patti Smith. Hmm, could be interesting. Sinfonietta collaborated with Radiohead’s Jonny Greenwood recently. I dig the Dresden Dolls. And who doesn’t love Soft Cell’s Marc Almond? A damn fool. That’s who.
Oh, Morpheus. Why must you taunt me so?
Seen enough to eye you
But I’ve seen too much to try you
It’s always weirdness while you
Dig it much too much to fry you
’nuff said. Dinosaur tix ordered.
Hmmmm… two interesting shows at the Borderline in London next week…
On Monday the 27th, it’s Mark Olson (formerly of Jayhawks’ fame) with the Original Creekdippersincluding his wife, Victoria Williams.
Then on Tuesday the 28th, they’re having the Fargo Acoustic Festival featuring Neal Casal, Richard Buckner & Crooked Fingers.
If I had to choose, I’d lean towards Buckner, et al, since I’ve seen him before… Ok, it’s not Patti Smith or Ryan Adams, but if you’re still in town…
Actually for seeing someone get drunk and fall down on stage, Chan Marshall might be a good bet too… or at least, that’s how it was when I saw her perform two years ago or so. Oh she was amazing, though, when she managed to stay still on her stool enough to strum the acoustic and croon out a haunting song. It still ended up being a fantastic concert.
And… I just realized you said the tickets to the Patti Smith thing are sold out — bummer. I was about to ask you to blog about it. Maybe you can slip someone a tenner to create a distraction while you sneak in the back door?