“When the devil came, he was not red. He was chrome, and he said, Come with me.” – Wilco, “Hell is Chrome” [listen online]
Wow. While I wasn’t paying attention, a bunch of new academic blogs sprang up over the summer months:
- This Academic Life: “Academia als Beruf,” or, an occasional record of the various aspects of my life as an academic.
- Bitch Ph.D.
- The Chronicles of Dr. Crazy: Thinking for a living is serious business.
- The Cul de Sac: Living the Burbs, Where the Margin is the Center The Center, the Margin and Everyone wants to live on a road going nowhere.
- Professor Dyke: A Writer and Professor Talks Smack About Writing, Publishing, Teaching, Misadventures on the Tenure Track, and the Perils of Being the Only Single, Non-Student Dyke in Smalltown-Collegeville
- Eudaemonia’s Horizon: A light-hearted romp through life, love & philosophy at the bottom of the atmosphere…
- In Favor of Thinking: life in academia, yoga, movies, books, ideas, general rants …
- Just Tenured: A recently tenured associate professor at Little-Known U rediscovers life in academia and beyond. Is there light at the end of the tenure-tunnel? Where am I going and what am I doing?
- New Kid on the Hallway: Negotiating a new job and a long distance marriage, while trying to avoid the bullies and hang out with the cool kids on the academic playground.
- No Fancy Name: No fancy description. I’m really quite boring, not creative at all. I also can’t match my socks.
- Playing School, Irreverently: Whee! Adventures on the tenure track … and beyond.
I’m not caffeinated enough to have anything to say about all this, yet, but you might find interesting the recent (and perhaps unfinished) conversation about identity and blogging. As Chuck speculates, maybe this time of year encourages such reflections.