Although this post will be about a few things that irritate me while working in the BL, I do want to emphasize that being here is a 99% positive experience. But can’t people keep it down?
- To “Mr. Clicky,” who keeps pressing the mouse button to move down the long web page he’s reading … click … click … click … click click click click click click clickclickclick … Dude, notice that thing in the middle of the mouse? It’s called a scroll wheel. Look into it.
- To “Mr. Smacky,” who randomly smacks his lips while reading his Derrida…*smack*…(long silence)…*smack*…Need a drink of water? The fountains are right over there.
- To the two-fingered typists who apparently feel that they must really! hit! those! keys! as they type–take it easy. Your keyboard will last longer.
- To the chronic coughers, ask Mr. Smacky where the water fountains are or buy some cough drops in the cafe.
- To the woman who has somehow managed to make turning pages a very loud activity…take it easy. The books will last longer.
- To the people whose computers keep announcing their every “save,” “open,” “restore,” and “error” with a different cartoonish sound…it’s called a mute button. Look into it.
- And to the 99% of you who do conduct your research quietly…it’s a pleasure to be in the room with you.
“Zombie does get cranky sometimes.”