- Timothy Burke on markets and the public sphere.
- PowerProf and the Little Professor on academic summers.
- Jon Pareles slags Coldplay. (NYT)
- “Dr. [John Q. ] Walker is developing technology that enables him to break down the sounds of an old recording, digitize them and reproduce them on a Disklavier, an up-to-the-minute player piano that can record and replay performances by means of a CD in a slot above the keyboard.”
- Rockin’ the Torah (via NYT).
- Deborah Friedell on concordances. (NYT)
This is Eco:
He’s a wee bit older today. This is Eco with a bottle of sugar-laced alcohol: I imagine he’ll be having a few of these (or some similar concoction) tonight. HAPPY BIRFDAY, ECO! And a belated birfday wish to my…