- Teaching Carnival #14 is up at M2H Blogging. It rawks.
- I was able to spend some time with Hub Bub artists-in-residence Brian and Justin last week. The People’s Republic of Sparkletonia is lucky to have them here for the year, along with Emily and Leah. Such good people…smart, creative, funny. I wish I had more time to spend at Hub Bub. I’ve had a book checked out for so long from the Closet Vandal‘s lending library that I fear my card will be suspended, if not confiscated.
- “Next week Christieâ€™s and Sothebyâ€™s will conduct multimillion-dollar sales of 18th-century antiques. Can the market handle 500 pieces of 18th-century furniture in such a short time?” I don’t know. Let’s find out!
- What’s a good way to unwind after last week’s National Coming Out Day busyness? Hey, how about taking a busload of students to New Orleans this week for four days! Remind me to scale back my bright ideas next semester.
- I’ve been Netflixing season 3 of the Wire. The show really is that good.
- I’m in love with the video for the Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Tell Me Baby,” in which unknown musicians/performers dance and lip synch to the track, sometimes with the band themselves as backup. I believe that like the Tilly and the Wall video I linked to earlier, this is an attempt to assimilate the aesthetic of fan-generated videos posted on such sites as YouTube. As such it’s kind of a conservative move: pruning what could otherwise be a chaotic media garden where anything goes. However, the video is just so sweet, sexy, and celebratory that it’s hard not to read it as a loveletter from the band to their fans and to all the unknowns who move to L.A. and don’t hit it big (the latter of which is arguably what the song’s lyrics address).
- A stack of papers awaits my grading attention. I’m so very tired, but I feel up to the challenge. Must. resist. desire. for beer. Otherwise, before you know it I’ll be Little Nemo in Slumberland.
*Random bullets of pure blogging gold.